Monday 15 March 2010

I have been thinking, and frankly I find myself a little alarmed. Back in the heady days of the eighties, fuelled by his addiction to drugs and drink, Pete Townshend absconded from The Who to write, what are some fine examples of songsmithery which remain very much of their time, but have a point of context in my memory, of happy times, a house filled with music is never to be considered a bad thing.

You can take them as they are, nicely worded catchily tuned pop music your Dad liked, or you can see the sentiment and you can smile.. a lot of the work seems to focus on the changing inter personnel dynamics as a person ages and as you age it begins so to strike a chord.

However..

the words;

"let my love open a door to your heart"

are a source of concern for me, and have been for some time. Now I have no reason to consider that Mr Townshend is anything but a literate, if not rather intelligent man - certainly my own correspondence with him suggest him to be both well read and articulate, its not unreasonable then, to anticipate he may have some rudimentary grasp of the physiology of the cardio respiratory system is it?

I have over the years had cause to examine my ribcage, of late I have noted a peculiar dint to the right adding weight to my assertion last year, that I had in fact received broken ribs (this was around the point in time I was wearing a corset whensoever possible, as means of bracing myself literally) anyway, what I can say with some degree of certainty is that there is simply, NO door which would lead to my heart. I conclude then, this is either poetic license, or a more accurate line would be;

"let my love, rip apart your flesh and break through the cartilage and bone of your sternum, to your heart"

Doesn't have quite the same ring to it does it?

Also, one has to consider - to what is he referring when he says 'my love' is this simply the emotion, presumably then a metaphysical torture device.. or a specific part of his anatomy, in which case, the imagery is to horror inducing to detail, and frankly I suspect the disproved allegations regarding paedophilia are the very least of the worlds concerns....

No comments:

Post a Comment