Friday 14 January 2011

this truly was going to be magnificent, I can but apologise.

I sat down some hours ago, with the express intention of emptying my head of surplus thoughts, in  a manner which might in some circles pass as pleasantly entertaining enough to read to the end, providing you haven't got half way through and vowed to hunt me down and stave my head in, on account of my inbuilt and evident pretension and mild superiority complex..

However, I found my thoughts too disjointed, and deleted twice lengthy tomes, believing them inadequate beyond sense, and incomprehensible beyond reason. In a state of somewhere between writers block and a sulk, which in a bygone  era by would see me reaching for the laudanum, I went for a bath, fell asleep, and it was whilst later laying 'pon my bed, examining the ceiling as is my wont, that it hit me..

Time travel, far from being a pursuit of the fictitious, reserved for the peculiarly sexy archetypal geek - an appeal borne surely of the fact they can go anywhere do anything for as long as they want, and be back before they ever left, so long as they don't cross their own timeline too often and create a paradox (see "wibbly wobbly, timey wimey....stuff"), no indeed it is a real concept, happening all around us, and explains so many complicit acts, and uncanny resemblances.

My ex, and indeed the father of my children, went through a phase of artful beard growth, accompanied by masses of hair, at the time this was an eyebrow raising annoyance, and as one would back then I assumed when I awoke at night alone, he was simply on the toilet..

Then I looked at the BBC news website today, and there he was...only he wasn't he was the Yorkshire Ripper.

I was naturally,  alarmed by this realisation, and having pressed the matter, I am assure that the reason he went through a phase of looking like a lady killer, was on account that back in time in the years preluding his actual birth, he was out of an evening, mutilating prostitutes with hammers an screwdrivers - it also explained why  could never locate the tools of the house whilst he lived here... Equally it transpires, that he has made television appearances as Damon Hill, and for a period was George Harrison. I must clarify, I am not spreading the belief that my ex-fiance has been living multiple lives, or indeed co- exists alongside various him selves in the same timeline and dimension, merely that in a world with a finite number of faces, there have been times, when he was called upon, to use time travel and stand in. Worryingly, this seems to be a genetic ability, my eldest son appears in Its a Wonderful Life  alongside James Stewart, and indeed, I suspect for a time, my ex father in law was Cat Stevens.

further to this familial bent to skip back and forth in time, for good, bad and frankly unusual purposes, I'd like to provide the conjecture, that in fact, we are all time travelling, frequently, without ever knowing, in an almost zen like manner - whilst sleeping perhaps, or when ones mind is not fully on task... How often have you had that sense of de ja vu or looked back on an incident and been able to make no logical sense of it, it fitted with neither your state of ind, or indeed regular pattern of behaviour, and yet you were there and recall it happening clear as day... simply, if we are able then to travel through time, in a quantum leapesque manner, then who is to say, that in our old age, when looking back, we are not able to ensure our destiny is achieved by making sure,the key moments happen, perhaps dementia patients are not besieged by a degeneration of the synapses, and it may also explain why occasionally you encounter someone who doesn't fit in their era - they simply got trapped here and must live out their days in this peculiar enormous world... it would explain the archaic language some folk use and indeed  their anachronistic behaviour... throwbacks if you will, may need just that, as they have been thrust ahead of their time.


Of course, this is but an apropos of nothing, these are the thoughts which filled my head, fighting for place, with the more fluid words, with the verses and passages to which you, the reader are so rarely privy...

No comments:

Post a Comment